Pages

Saturday 7 June 2014

Fitness Friday #1

Hey guys, 

Before I start writing what I want this post to mainly be about I just want to clear up two things: 1) I know it's not Friday but I really wanted to get this up yesterday but just didn't have the time after being out with my friend Tayyibah for most of the day. 2) I've been reluctant to write about this because it is a very personal issue and it's not something I usually write about here but hey this blog is about me, my life and why not write about it. And because this is a personal issue I haven't advertised this blog post on twitter or Instagram. 

For quite a few years now I have struggled with my weight, insecurity and paranoia which has led me into spirals of depression and constantly hating myself and the way I look and feel in clothes. Over the years I have started and stopped eating healthily and exercising. I lose motivation and will power. But now for the past week I feel like I have never been more determined. I've started to look at my lifestyle and have realised I need a big change. With motivation I have learnt to become less pessimistic about myself, I take each day as it comes rather than waiting for the process to be over. But this isn't just weight loss, this is a lifestyle change. I'm loving this more positive outlook on life. I have already noticed a big difference - I'm less lazy, happier thanks to exercise and I feel more active. I started on the 3rd June, today is the 7th. Four days in & I am feeling as positive and determined that I WILL battle through this. 
I know a lot of people think I probably sound stupid, but weight loss and change in lifestyle is psychologically challenging as much as it is physically challenging. Getting yourself in the right mindset is what enables you to feel determined and motivated. 
At the beginning of this year I wrote a blog post about motivation and new years resolutions and let me be honest here, I wrote that 6 months ago and did not do anything to change the way I was living. Instead I piled on the pounds because all I would do was think about it and become more depressed. My parents have played a huge part in helping me with my mum guiding me on whats best for me to eat and how to exercise as well as my dad who is always there for me also. Also thanks to my aunty Peeny who has always helped me and given me the best tips!

I have only just gotten in to a routine but I'll briefly go over what I am doing at the moment:

Weekdays: 20minute intense workout DVD - Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. She is kicking my arse at the moment. Although they are intense, the workout is only 20mins and I love the feeling after completing that workout. 

Saturdays: 30 minute walk on the treadmill, I will probably increase this by 5 minutes each week. 

Sundays: Walk in the park - keeping it relaxed and try not to go over the top otherwise it can lead to being put off. 

As for food I am recording both my exercise and food on MyFitnessPal and this app allows me to control how many calories I consume during the day and is also great for tracking progress. 

I am going on holiday to Dubai in October (originally August) so it would be great for me to sort my body in to shape so I can enjoy myself there without having to worry about my weight. 

I'll be back next week Friday to record how much progress I've made and how I'm feeling. 

:)


2 comments :

  1. Hey Maryam :D I just discovered your blog (through Saarah's) Love it a lot, especially this post as I have issues as well but the less time I spend worrying about it the better, I try not to over think everything, let me know how you progress.Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ubah! Aw thanks for your sweet comment! Yeah it's good to not overthink but so hard to at the same time! InshAllah it gets better for both of us! I sure will, hopefully i will be posting updates every Friday xxxxx

      Delete

I would love to hear from you so please leave me a comment here :)